Saturday 19 August 2017

NOVELS TO ENRICH A TRIP TO THE FLORIDA KEYS ... by Rae Cowie

Reading and travel are my two great loves and whenever I find the opportunity to combine them then I’m a happy soul. In recent years I’ve tried to read at least one novel set in the place I’m about to explore. So when we decided to visit the Florida Keys on a family holiday, I knew exactly which book I would choose – Vanessa Lafaye’s stunning historical debut, Summertime (A Richard and Judy BookClub Choice for 2015). A novel based on real life events, which graced my ‘to be read’ list for far too long.

FLORIDA KEYS
Set during the 1930s on the fictional Heron Key, we’re introduced to Missy, loyal maid to the Kincaid family, who spends years of her prime waiting for her first love, Henry, to return from the battlefields of France. Trouble is brewing, as a hurricane threatens the coast, turning everything, including Missy’s life, upside-down. (Here's my full Goodreads review - Summertime Review .) Summertime is a fantastic debut, made even more special for me when I went on to read the author’s notes and discovered that the real life events on which Vanessa based her novel took place in Islamorada – the island we’d chosen to stay on the Keys.

Islamorada Hurricane Memorial

ISLAMORADA HURRICANE
As we drove South on day trips, we passed a hurricane monument, which, if it weren’t for reading Summertime, I may not have given a second glance – which would’ve been a shame because I would have missed learning about perhaps the single most important event in the history of Islamorada. But because I read Summertime I understood the importance of the memorial. So we stopped and read the tragic tale of the brave WW1 veterans who, whilst working for the government, were treated shabbily by a system that chose to ignore the natural danger heading their way. Because I’d met and admired Vanessa’s fictional characters, her writing made me take time to reflect on the suffering endured
The true story behind 'Summertime'
by the real inhabitants of Islamorada, during the catastrophic 1935 Labor Day hurricane, when 200mph winds created 18 foot tidal waves, which swamped the low-lying sea town with appalling loss of life, demolishing most of the buildings. A sobering thought.


HISTORY BEHIND THE NOVEL
As we journeyed on past ocean front villas butting up against water bluer than a skimming dragonfly, heading to the lively tropical port of Key West, we commented on the strange sight of a bridge half-built, or broken - we weren’t sure.
Partially completed railway bridge (Florida Keys)
When I posted my book review on Goodreads, Vanessa was kind enough to get in touch and pointed me in the direction of her fascinating Pinterest board entitled ‘The History Behind The Novel’. It was there I discovered that the partially completed railway bridge we’d seen was the same bridge the WW1 Veterans, including Vanessa’s fictional hero, Henry, were working on when the hurricane struck.


METICULOUS RESEARCH
I feel grateful to Vanessa as her time in meticulously researching the events which led to such a tragedy added so much more to my stay in Islamorada and also to my understanding of the danger of the deadly force of nature capable of destroying the breathtaking beauty of the Keys.

The Green Turtle Inn
 today
As we drove past the flashing neon green light of the Green Turtle Inn, one of the few buildings that survived the storm, I couldn't help but remember the terrified residents who gathered there, seeking shelter, after the worst of the hurricane blew through.


It's a heart-breaking real life story, but the characters in Summertime display both courage and hope for the future. Islamorada has been rebuilt and is thriving as a popular fishing and tourist resort, once again. I'd love to return one day!
Islamorada - July 2017



FURTHER READING
If you’d like to see more photos of what inspired Vanessa to write Summertime, or learn a little more about a largely forgotten piece of American history, then I’ve included a link to her Pinterest page here.

Also, I can’t sign off without mentioning that having very much enjoyed Summertime (even if you can’t visit the Florida Keys, it’s still a brilliant read), I then went on to enjoy the companion novel, At First Light. This time our journey into the past begins during a 1993 Klu Klux Klan rally in Key West, when Alicia Cortez, a frail elderly Cuban woman, commits murder in broad daylight. To understand Alicia's motives Vanessa then carries us back to Key West of 1919, a wild, colourful frontier town filled with brothels and soldiers and bars. Again, At First Light, is loosely based on disturbing true events, which are sadly still pertinent today and which warrant a blog post all of there own! In the meantime, here’s my full Goodreads review.

So where will I travel to next? – Perhaps I should consult my bookshelf...

WHICH BOOKS HAVE ENRICHED YOUR TRAVEL EXPERIENCES?
But before you head off, please share which novels have enriched your travel experiences. (The Trip Fiction website is great for inspiration.) I’d love to hear some of your favourites…

Happy reading!

Rae
SaveSaveSaveSave

10 comments:

  1. I have never read a book based in the location where I am holidaying before. This post has inspired me to select one next time I am off on my hols. :) Lovely post, Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's fantastic, Victoria. I think I began the habit when I discovered the Trip Fiction website. It's lovely to learn about a location through a character's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SUCH an interesting article (SUCH a great novel too). I first discovered the pleasure of reading a novel set in my destination, Bangkok and the action in the book just 'happened' to be taking place in the street below our hotel. It was a revelation, how I could imagine what was going on behind closed doors as I explored, how seeing the actual places mentioned in the book added so much to the reading experience. The rest is history. And thank you so much for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. The Trip Fiction website is my go-to place when choosing what I'll read on my travels. : )

      Delete
  4. Lovely blog Rae. And such a great idea. I'm definitely going to think about this for future holidays. I do remember reading Eileen Ramsay's lovely 'Never Call It Loving', which is set partly in Italy, when I was on holiday in Malta. And I kept thinking - I should be in Italy! You have just confirmed that I was right (or should have found a Malta-based novel).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also a wonderful way of discovering new authors - always a joy. : )

      Delete
  5. I think my favourite book (read on holiday) is the Flight of the Heron by DK Broster and the sequels: The Gleam in the North and the Dark Mile. Although not quite OUTLANDER, I've read the trilogy countless times when on holiday in Scotland. In fact, my dog-eared copy: THE JACOBITE TRILOGY, has 'Mallaig 1988 - August' inscribed inside the cover. Just checking, it was written in 1925 (!) and DK Broster had never visited Scotland before she wrote it. You'd never know . . . she must have had a stock of calendars and guide books at her elbow at the typewriter because the descriptions of Scotland are convincing. Accurate historical detail and a great love story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lizzie, and thanks so much for reading and sharing. I'm ashamed to admit I've never read The Flight of the Heron, despite having another writer friend who names it as her all time favourite novel. I love the fact you re-read it when in holiday in Scotland - that's true literary love. I'm off to add it to my TBR pile and will make a point of enjoying it when I next visit the Highlands, or perhaps the West Coast. I hope your dog-eared copy continues to make many more trips across the border! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very, interesting post. Rae. I have a friend who does this with non-fiction for everywhere she goes but I think your way is better .... more soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such kind comments, Linda. Trip Fiction is a brilliant website for discovering authors who may otherwise have passed me by.

      Delete